A company that I regularly receive email updates from is
Cult Cosmetics. Cult Cosmetics is a pure play business that exists solely on
the Internet, which sells nail polish. Consumers are able to purchase
individual bottles of nail polish, sets of 3 nail polishes or sign up for their
monthly subscription service called Blackbox, which includes 3 on-trend nail
polish colors and a nail art tool. The point of the Blackbox is to try a new
nail art trends every month with tutorials available through Cult Cosmetics.
Cult Cosmetics sends out emails to its subscribers every 2-3
days and in these emails they not only advertise their polishes that you can
purchase on the website but they also include photos to give you inspiration
for your own nail art. Occasionally an email will also contain a how-to guide
to create trendy nails. Lastly, the emails are used as a tool to encourage
people to subscribe for the Blackbox service. They even offer 50% off your
first month of Blackbox (which means your first month cost only $10 instead of
$20) to encourage you to sign up.
![]() |
| An example of an email from Cult Cosmetics-- including inspiration, a tutorial as well as advertisements |
I would say that Cult Cosmetics’ email marketing is highly
successful for several reasons. First of all is that, compared to many other companies, Cult Cosmetics sends out very
few emails. This likely increases the open rate of their emails since readers
do not experience as much of a fatigue with their communications. Secondly,
this company does an excellent job of providing engaging, valuable content to
their audience so consumers will be interested in opening the email since they
know there will be content that they will want to read instead of just a
promotional information. Lastly, all communications from Cult Cosmetics look
very professional and are visually appealing which makes it more enjoyable to
look at.
In my experience, Cult Cosmetics is very persuasive with
their email marketing. I actually subscribed to their email list because I saw the
company on Facebook and read about Blackbox but wasn’t quite ready to sign up.
After I gave them my email, Cult Cosmetics kept me engaged and actually
persuaded me to try their service. I since have cancelled Blackbox after one
month for customer service reasons but I continue to receive their emails and
might consider purchasing individual nail polish sets in the future.

Hi Kelsey, Really good point you have raised on Email Marketing. Thanks for sharing your great thoughts here.
ReplyDelete