I admit that I was a bit late to the smart phone game as I
just got my iPhone last December (shameful for a Marketing major, I know) but
when I did I spent hours browsing the App Store downloading any app I found
intriguing. One that I found that I thought was particularly interesting was
the Retail-Me-Not app. I had used Retail-Me-Not in the past when I was shopping
online and I found it quite useful for saving a few dollars on my order or
occasionally getting free shipping. I expected the app to be primarily for
online codes, much like the website was.
However, after downloading the app, it asked if I would turn
on location- based services. I did, not really thinking about what it would do
for me. As I browsed around I noticed that for each store I searched they had a
section for online coupon codes and in store coupons that you could open on
your phone and scan for discounts at the register. You could even save coupons
that you wanted to use in the future. Now, I’m a huge fan of coupons and saving
money, but my biggest problem is remembering to use them.
A few days later I took a trip to the mall and my phone
buzzed—I got a notification from Retail-Me-Not, saying that my local mall had
offers that they wanted me to see. When I opened the notification, it showed me
a list of stores in my mall that were offering in store promotions that day.
The location based aspect of the application had determined that I was at or
near my local mall and, in order to encourage me to shop, showed me offers that
I could take advantage of.
These notifications can be incredibly effective in
generating a sale because, when you open the app, you are directed to a screen
that shows all sales available at the mall instead of being forced to search
for deals at specific stores. This increases the chance that a consumer will
see a good deal at a store that they weren’t originally planning on visiting
and will go to the store to check it out. This increase in traffic in the
stores gives the sales people the opportunity to address each customer and try
to make a sale.
I think the target market for the Retail-Me-Not app is
primarily women from 18-34. These young women are looking for a good deal
because they are often trying to buy items for themselves or their family on a
limited budget. The push notifications based on their location are beneficial
to this target market because it will spur purchase behavior in a group that
might not buy a product if they can’t get a good deal on it.
Personally, I find Retail-Me-Not’s marketing strategy to be
extremely effective in driving sales that customers were not intending to make.
I have often gone to the mall and come home with more than I went for because I
was offered a good deal and wanted to take advantage of the opportunity.
ReplyDeleteI have read your blog its very attractive and impressive. I like it your blog.
Digital Marketing Company in Chennai Digital Marketing Agency
SEO Company in India SEO Services in India
Digital Marketing Company in Chennai